Top 5 Reasons to Eat Local Foods
Category : Tips for Health
Farmers’ Markets are a great resource of local fresh foods. Here are 5 reasons to buy local foods.
- Local Foods are Fresher The farmers’ market provides you food that has been freshly harvested by local farmers and tastes better than food that has been preserved and transported from thousands of miles away.
- Local Foods are Seasonal Purchasing fruits and vegetables in their peak season means eating foods full of flavor that your taste buds are sure to enjoy.
- Local Foods Promote Variety Farmers selling at farmers’ markets raise more types of produce and livestock promoting a greater array of foods and flavors. Think Brandywines, Early Girls and Lemon Boys instead of “tomatoes.”
- Local Foods Often Have Less Environmental Impact Buying local decreases the carbon footprint of the food you are consuming. Also buying foods grown and raised closer to where you live helps preserve farmland and green spaces in your community.
- Local Foods Support Your Local Economy Money spent with local farmers, growers, bakers, and artisans all stay closer to your community, working to build your local economy instead of another city, state, or county.
Eating local food is better for you, for your environment, and your taste buds.