FAQ Regarding Vending

When must contracts be submitted?

  • Contracts for full, seasonal, or daily vendors must be received at least 48 hr before your first market date. Contacts and payments may be mailed to OCFM, PO Box 650, Spencer, IN 47460 or contracts may be emailed to info@owencountyfarmersmarket.com  with payment made to the Market Master before setting up your stall on your first market date.

What are the scheduling requirement to vend?

  • Full season vendor are asked to contact the Market Master, Amy Arnold at 812.821.0373 when you will not be able to attend a particular Saturday.  This allows the Market Master knowledge to fill in your space that week to keep a coherent flow to the market. Reserved spaces not claimed before 8 am may be reassigned to another vendor for that day.
  • Seasonal vendors are asked to contact the Market Master, Amy at 812.821.0373 48 hr prior to the Saturdays you will be attending so we can configure the market for that week.
  • Daily vendors that have approved contracts must contact the Market Master, Amy Arnold at 812.821.0373 at least 48 hrs before the Saturday you plan to attend, so we can assure you a booth space.  Payment is required prior to setting up your booth.

Can anyone vend?

  • Vendors must submit contracts prior to vendor for board approval.  The Board reserves the right to refuse admittance to any vendor that the Board feels does not meet the eligibility requirements or does not serve the best interests of the Market.
  • NEW in 2013 for Artisan Vendors. All Artisan Vendors are subject to the craft jury process and only those items approved by the jury may be sold at the market.  Vendor booth rental spaces may be limited for Artisans depending on the response of contracts.
  • The Board and/or Market Master reserves the right to inspect any kitchen or farm of participating market vendors. We may choose to make a visit when complaints have been made to the Market Master as we deem it necessary. If following the initial inspection the Board and/or Market Master feels it is necessary they may require a State inspection by the Owen County Board of Health.

Do I need insurance?

  • Certificate of Insurance with the minimum limits of 500/1M listing the “Owen County Farmers Market” as an additional insured. This must be provided with the  Value Food Addendum.  Contact your local insurance agent and ask about Farmers’ Market / Value added food policies; it is the board’s understanding that these items ARE NOT covered by your home owners policy and an additional policy is necessary.

If I am done vending before 12 noon can I leave?

  • Vendors are NOT permitted to close their booth before the conclusion of the market day for insurance liability reasons. Any vendor leaving the Market before the close of the day could be assessed a $50.00 fine, which is due before the next Market day.

Can I sell mushrooms?

  • Vendors will be allowed to sell Morel Mushrooms. ALL vendors with morel mushrooms MUST have product inspected by a board member or the Market Master before they are allowed to sell. If a vendor is only selling morel mushrooms they are not permitted to close their booth before the conclusion of the market day, so please be prepared to stay even if your items sell out before the end of market.

What license and permits are required?

  • Egg vendors MUST have state egg license with a copy included with contract and copy on site.
  • Indiana State Board of Animal health Dairy Division permit to operate as a manufactured grade milk and/or milk processor is required with vendors intending to sell diary products
  • Temporary Food Vendor Permit and/or Mobile Food Vending Permit form the Owen County Health Department is required with vendors selling prepared foods such as baked goods and onsite ready to eat foods.

How do I meet hand washing requirement with value added foods?

  • Rob Babbs has provide the market with a hand washing station.  This is set up near the Cafe area of the market and available to vendors and customer during the market hours.  While hand sanitizers are good the state requires even after their use that you rinse your hands in hot water when dealing with food items. So play it safe and just wash your hands with soap and HOT water after being away from your booth or situations where your hands are in contact with possible germs or dirt.
  • A Temporary Set Up for Hand Washing may also be set up at your booth is you so desire.Hand Washing Requires
    • Potable hot and cold running water (recommend at least 100°F)
    • Suitable hand cleaner (i.e. soap)
    • A waste receptacle
    • 20 seconds of your time
    • Dry hands with disposable towel


What are temperature regulations for food items?

  • Cooking Temperatures are as follows.  Be very afraid of partial cooking!
  1. Cook shell eggs, fish, pork – 145oF   For 15 seconds
  2. Cook ground meat (hamburger) – 155oF  For 15 seconds
  3. Cook poultry, stuffed meats – 165oF  For 15 seconds
  • Hot/Cold Holding of Foods
  1. Hot PH foods are held 135oF or above
  2. Cold PH foods are held 41oF or below
  3. Unpackaged ready-to-eat foods are NOT stored in direct contact with ice
  4. Avoid potential cross-contamination in storage

What are health requirements for selling food items?

  • All produce is to be six (6) inches off the ground.
  • Baked goods (valued added foods) vendors wishing to sell baked goods are subject to Health Department Regulations and should meet those regulations prior to selling at market. View the “Guidance for Uniform Use of House Enrolled Act 1309” from Indiana State Department of Health for more information or the Owen County Health Department may be contacted at (812) 829-5017 or by visiting 60 S. Main Street – Courthouse (1st Floor) Spencer IN  47460.
  • Need to know STATE Requirements
    • Prepared food vendors and value added food vendors MUST carry liability insurance and provide proof of coverage to Market Master prior to vending.
    • Overhead Protection (a tent) is needed if preparing food at site
    • Egg vendors MUST have state egg license with a copy included with contract and copy on site. New labeling requirements include having your own label which covers the entire top of the carton and/or any other marketers labeling (such as reused cartons from grocery store). Information on the label is to include your name/farm name, address, phone number, date collected, and expiration date. Also eggs must be kept in properly regulated temperatures while at market which will be inspected. PLEASE BE AWARE the board has been notified that the state WILL BE inspecting farmers markets more this year and these regulations MUST be met. Also be aware that egg license expire mid market season so a renewal of the license will be necessary during the market with new license information documented.
    • Vendors with meat products must have proper labeling and meat processed at a state or federal inspected plant if selling at market. Also meat vendors must keep product in properly regulated temperatures while at market, which will be inspected.
    • Water test required for all vendors with well water. The health department is requiring vendors with well water have one (1) good water test report on file before selling at market. Free water test kits maybe be picked up at the Owen County Board of Health Department located on the first floor of the Owen County Courthouse. Test kits must be turned back into the OC Board of Health Dept by noon on Mondays or Tuesdays to be sent to state for results. Test kits may also be found at Dillman’s in Bloomington for a small cost. The OC Board of Health director encourages everyone needing this test to submit it as quickly as possible so you have time to complete additional test if your well does not come back with a good report before market.
    • Rules for Add on Food Vendors including labeling and HBV (Home Based Vendor) establishments. Add on Foods are food such as cookies, jams, jellies, breads, cut vegetables, and anything prepared and individually sold. This is a 10 page document, please read carefully for all information regarding these new regulations. … view “Guidance for Uniform Use of House Enrolled Act 1309” from Indiana State Department of Health.
    • For more information regarding Indiana State Department of Health regulations for Farmers Market Vendor go to www.statehealth.in.gov
  • UPDATE 4/16/2010 – Here is more information regard HBVs (Home Based Vendors) from a Purdue workshop. This document includes examples of foods that may or may not be sold by HBVs as well as other important links and information.